Lamb Nursery Open Day
Advantage Feeders would like to invite you to our first Lamb Nursery Open Day!
INCREASING GROWTH RATES AND SURVIVAL OF HIGH RISK LAMBS
ADVANTAGE FEEDERS FARM
Friday 8 October 2021
2 x LAMB NURSERY DISCUSSION SESSIONS
- 9am – 10am – 20 people only
- 2pm – 3pm – 20 people only
- Refreshments provided
- Outside event only
- No bathroom facilities
Have you experienced high fatalities and low growth rates in triplets and twins from ewe lambs?
To help tackle this problem, Advantage Feeders Farm, overseen by Gerard Roney, are grabbing one lamb from each litter off triplets (and quads) and taking them to our new lambing nursery. The lambing nursery provides milk, food, warm shelter, and care to these lambs.
The goal of the lambing nursery is to increase lambing survival and growth rates of our high-risk lamb with less than an hour of labour and $50 of milk powder per lamb.
This change in farming technique will have going benefits including:
• increased growth rates
• higher lambing survival rates
• less stress on the mother and better recovery
• extra care and nutrition for lambs left with their mother
• overall improve welfare
• increase in farming profit
• practical ways to deal with abandoned lambs
• better mental health of our team that work on the farm
Join us this Friday the 8th October as Gerard Roney talks through how Advantage Feeders Farm has managed the nursery including:
• selecting lambs in the paddock
• catching the lambs
• providing colostrum
• training lambs to drink from teats
• lambs pen set up
• hygiene considerations
• medical treatments
• managing scours
• rumen development
Please note that the morning and afternoon sessions will have light refreshments after each practical session. Due to COVID restrictions, we are strictly limiting numbers to 20 farmers at each session, and will be following current COVID guidelines.